Vince: pip can install to many places. Yes, it can install to the system's
dist-packages, although I don't think that's a great idea. It requires sudo
and can break existing applications. Better idea is to use "--user" and
install to ~/.local, or install to a virtual environment, or use pipenv.

The new tool would then install to either /home/weewx or ~/.weewx, or
something similar.

Greg: The package installers would continue to install to /etc/weewx. For
those who want something that "just works" that continues to be a good
idea. However, there is a disadvantage: it requires sudo to install and
edit. Many of us also prefer to have everything under one subdirectory
(such as /home/weewx or ~/.weewx, or what have you).

While many apps install to $prefix/etc, not all do. Many depend on
configuration settings under ~/.local or their own subdirectory. It's by no
means universal. In fact, it feels to me that the trend has been towards
non-privileged installs. Npm, nvm, node, chrome, pyenv, JetBrains products,
slack (via snap), docker-desktop, virtualbox --- none of them require root
privileges and all of them put config information under the user directory.

-tk