> It seems obvious that extensions should use the same pip strategy and
> depend on weewx.   Yes, need to cope until they are updated, but need to
> push them to align.

I'd like to install extensions using pip, but they would have the same
problem that pip cannot be used to install or manage data, such as the
settings an extension might use. Any ideas on how to do that would be
welcome.

It should be easy to choose a different place for what is "etcdir" and
> "vardir" where the config and db and html output live.  They should be
> able to be separate.  skin/conf should be able to be on a ro fs.

As always, you can specify different locations for the skins (SKIN_ROOT),
html files (HTML_ROOT), database (SQLITE_ROOT), etc

> I think 'weewx-data' is an artifact of the previous install and would be
> separate config and state were we starting fresh.

I'm having a hard time decoding what you're trying to say. Can you be more
specific?