Using the WeMo and an FO without batteries is something I hadn't considered
and seems kinda cute, especially with the IFTTT hack.

I wonder if doing a timed shutdown of the Pi periodically, followed by a
timed reset of the WeMo (off then on), which would reset the FO, would help
prevent the lockups -- on the theory that one happens *eventually* if left
running continuously?

However, this presumably wouldn't prevent data loss in the event of an
unplanned outage, which an FO with batteries *can* do. I also have
occasional power outages and what usually happens is that the Pi catches up
the buffered data. I keep

/var
/var/tmp
/var/lock
/var/www/weewx

directories in a RAM disk to save SD card I/O and have had no SD card
issues at all.