Tom and Andrew,
I have created a new template called temp.txt.tmpl in the
etc/weewx/skins/Standard directory. It's only content is: $current.outTemp

In the skin.conf file under [CheetahGenerator] I added:

   [[temp.txt]]
        # Report that makes current outTemp available to other program
        encoding = strict_ascii
        template = temp.txt.tmpl

Am I on the right track? Thanks for your patience!