Unfortunately, I cannot replicate your problem. I used your index.html.tmpl
file, and your skin.conf file, and things worked fine.

For Cheetah to recognize that a template uses UTF-8, it must have an
'encoding' directive. You have one, but for some reason it is not
recognizing it.
​Why, I don't know.​

Suggestions:

1. Try eliminating the blank line at the top of index.html.tmpl between
"#encoding UTF-8" and the "<!DOCTYPE..." directive. I doubt this will do
anything, but we're getting desperate.

2. Start with the skin.conf and index.html.tmpl file that come with weewx
and gradually add things until you have a problem.

3. Check what default encoding your python installation uses. You can do
this by running the line

python -c "import sys; print sys.getdefaultencoding()"

Mine says 'ascii', and yours should as well.

4. Try changing the default encoding used by weewx by adding the following
to the top of the file user/extensions.py:

import sys
# Reload sys, because site.py deletes the function setdefaultencoding().
reload(sys)
sys.setdefaultencoding('UTF8')

If this works, it's a bit of a hack, but it might get you running. It can
also break other things.

-tk