The problem is not with attempting to upgrade weewx.  There are a few
things that have happened that have motivated me to upgrade, hardware,
software, and how I go about using weewx.  These include unreliable
recovery from periodic power outages, webhost interference in how page and
image caching are managed, and my desire to completely revamp how I display
weather data on my site.  I've  therefore decided that the least miserable
path is to start from scratch.
FWIW the version of weewx that I am running is from the very first set of
releases, maybe even a pre-release version (reliable nonetheless).  A few
years back when I was thinking of upgrading I was warned that it would not
be a smooth transition due to architectural changes that had been made.
Even if that were not the case, I would still want to start from scratch
this time around.
Thanks,
joe