Hello,

It could be good to have a look at "http://www.yoctopuce.com";. The company
is based in Geneva, Switzerland, but send products worldwide, with typical
Swiss high quality. They have extremely low power hubs usb --> Ethernet,
gsm or WiFi, which can put all the boards asleep and wake up only on
command from central PC. Boards include barometer, temperature(s),
humidity, light and many other possibilities not so much related to weather
station. Software exists for most high level languages (C, C++, Java,
Python, shell (bash) etc.).
MQTT looks very interesting, but I had no time yet to play with it.  To
interface other programs with weewx data, I simply interrogate the database
(mysql).
Hope this helps.     Paul