After re-reading your post, the following occurred to me:

UPDATE archive SET rain = rain + yy WHERE dateTime > xxxxxxxxx;

yy being the difference between the tipping bucket and manual gauges.

If that is correct, must I keep that line entry in the conf file for
eternity or, delete it the next day?

Thank you.