Tom,

First of all let's consider solely the data fields wee_import can obatin
from WU and the Cumulus monthly log files. When we import from WU we cannot
obtain inside temperature, inside humidity and rain rate so if those fields
are populated in your Cumulus data you would lose that data if you import
from WU (WU does not provide UV but you said you do not have that sensor so
no loss of data there). There are also a couple of other differences
(apparent temperature, wind chill, heat index and rain rate) that WU does
not provide but these are derived observations that wee_import can
calculate. You will find more info on what fields wee_import can import
from WU and Cumulus in the Utilities Guide here
<http://weewx.com/docs/utilities.htm#Importing_from_Weather_Underground>
and here
<http://weewx.com/docs/utilities.htm#Mapping_data_to_archive_fields51>
respectively.

The other issue is the integrity of the data source being used. Importing
from WU requires wee_import to submit a http WXDailySummary request to
obtain one days data at time. This may or may not return all data for the
day, in fact if you run a wunderfixer session for a given day (wunderfixer
uses the same http call to get a given day's data from WU) say 10 times,
the number of records returned by WU will almost certainly vary across some
of the runs. This effect can be offset to some degree by running the import
multiple times, but at the end of the day unless you check each days
records you cannot be sure you have them all. Equally there can be
integrity issues with the Cumulus monthly log files for any number of
reasons, but on the whole I have found them to be more reliable than WU.

Still along data integrity lines, WU requires the weather station software
to submit data via the internet, weeWX is fortunate to have wunderfixer to
catch up on any WU records that may have been lost if the internet was
unavailable for some reason. I am not sure if Cumulus has such a mechanism
and if not there may well be some holes in the WU data if you have had any
internet outages.

If your Cumulus data is compete and you have no reason to doubt it I would
use your Cumulus data in prefernce to WU. If for some reason you have a gap
in your Cumulus data but it exists on WU, then you might consider importing
the Cumulus data and then just that missing data from WU (wee_import does
allow you to limit by date-time what data is imported). I defintely would
not import from both for any given time period as all you will need is a 1
second difference in timestamp and you could end up with 2 records, largely
the same but separated by a very small number of seconds which could well
skew some of your aggregates.

Hope this helps.

Gary