On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 18:00:57 -0800 (PST)
JE Norton <lowjumpingf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Greg, FWIW, I have a serial cable that is about 100 feet long and
> my station has been operating for 5 years
> John
>
> On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 6:13:37 PM UTC-7, Greg Troxel wrote:
> >
> > I have a Vantage Pro 2 with a recent datalogger, and with the
> > included 8 foot RJ11 extension cable and a PL2303 USB/serial
> > adaptor (to a 2008 vintage Mac notebook running NetBSD), weewx is
> > running fine.
> >
> > I am about to run cables from the console to a more reasonable
> > place for the computer.  I notice that Davis specifies 48' max (the
> > 8' plus a non-supplied 40').  I am inclined to use some CAT3 or
> > CAT5 cable and use 2 pairs, one with ground/TX and one with
> > ground/TX, and wire up a short connecting cable at each end to a
> > DB9.  My planned run might be a little longer than the 48' spec.
> >
> > So I wonder:
> >
> >   Has anybody used a too-long cable, and did it work ok?  What
> > type, length and ok or not?
> >
> >   The datalogger is labeled serial, but I notice it doesn't say
> > RS232. Is it real RS232 levels (-12V/+12V, ish), or TTL (0/5V)?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Greg

My house contains a number of too-long cables to a number of items.
Usually there is adapter > cat5 cable > adapter
These long cables are subject to collecting stray EMF, although the use
of cat5 should lessen the effect.
Purchasing and installing a number of ferrites has reduced my drop out
rate.

Liz