Busy redoing my website template with MaterializeCSS framework.

To correctly create the dropdown for the various NOAA summaries I have to
create an href tag as follows:

Without the .txt suffix the NOAA-$monthYear tag works fine, but as soon as
I add .txt to make NOAA-$monthYear.txt it is interpreted as a formatting
code and cheetah falls over because it
"cannot find 'txt' while searching for 'monthYear.txt'"

As long as whatever follows $monthYear is not a period it works.

How can I convince cheetah to put a .txt suffix after $monthYear?