Greg,

The --check-strings (and its friend --fix-strings) action is there for
SQLite databases (do a wee_database --help). It will run on a MySQL install
but essentially has no effect. Having a null/NULL value in a database is
fine, that is how the python None values are stored. However, having a
string or a null string in a weeWX database field is not OK, that is what
--check-strings will pickup and --fix-strings will fix. I'm not sure why
the null string only comes up for SQLite databases, before my time, though
one way that you can easily get them if you are not carfeul is through use
of a graphical db browser/editor.

Gary