When you edit a file with  vi, which is actually a link to vim, it creates a backup file in your case .weewx.conf.swp. because it has a dot in front of the name the best way to see it is by using ls -la

When you save the file and exit vi the .filename.swpis removed, if however you kill the vi session or exit it any other abnormal way the .filename.swp file won't be removed.

You have 2 options simply remove the file or if you have some changes in the file that you want to recover then the best option is to recover the file which will have all the changes that you made in your last edit.  To recover the last edits use vi -r save the file exit vi and then remove the .filename.swp file.

Like I said, to avoid this from happening always properly end the vi session.

Other than that it sounds like you are dealing with permission/ownership error, in that case check both the original file and the .filename.swp ownership.

I hope that this helps

Pete