I note that you say that you know how to edit the database, so the
following points may appear to be redundant. But for the benefit for
someone reading this thread later, that may not have the same confidence as
yourself,  I'll include them anyway.

> should I stop the weewx service, work on the database and then start the
weewx service again (it might take me anything between 10 mins and a few
hours to do this).

If it's the default sqlite (weewx.sdb) database then you have no option. If
you start editing the live database you'll lock it and weewx will halt all
writes to it.
You say 10 minutes to an hour so you won't want that.
.
For others , that may or may not be a problem, but be aware of it.

You can get away with copying the sqlite while weewx is running, try and do
it during the report cycle if you feel nervous (no writes, only reads).  If
you want 100% surity then stop it, you'll have then removed another
potentional hiccup.

You can dump a mysql database while it's running. You can also edit it on
the fly without getting into serious problems, but if you make a mistake???
See Rule #1 below.

So
Unless you like living on the edge...
Rule #1 says to make a copy of the database.
Optional Rule #2 suggests to make another copy and work on that.

When you've got the process down pat - ie: you're satisfied with what you
are doing and the results are good, then you can swap over the databases.
Or if a longtime has elapsed, make another copy, fix that with your
recently honed process and swap it back in (with fewer values missed.)
weewx will be stopped while you do all that.

>  If I stop the service, will weewx automatically reload all the database
entries for the time period when it was stopped in the previous step.

Depends on the weather station. Some will catch up, others won't (or can't)

See if your station gets a mention in the online documentation or tell the
group what the station is and someone with more authority may be able to
answer that question. Mine can't

If it won't, you can dump the pre-swap database, edit and extract the new
entries and insert them into the new copy , which shouldn't take too long -
even with the precautions outlined above.

Cheers
 Glenn

rorpi - read only raspberry pi & various weewx addons
https://github.com/glennmckechnie