Matthew,,

Making progress, thank you, though it’s still not working right. I’ll reply
separately about the problems.

You’ve lost me totally with the "just write two systemd unit files.”. Happy to
try that but it sounds to be way above my pay-grade on Linux. Are there some
examples and tutorials about how it works?

I don’t understand enough about systemd to understand your woes; sorry to hear
it!

:-))