Hello Richard,
On a debian install I use the template below to generate a NOAA style daily
record.
An example of the output can be seen on my website here:
http://pauland.net/NOAA/NOAA-2018-05-27.txt
PLEASE NOTE ! It's the first template I wrote for WEEWX after switching
from wview. Am sure it could be done better, as I just guessed my way until
things worked. However it's been working well for me for 6 months with no
issues.Notice it has hard codes station name rather than variable in a
couple places.

/etc/weewx/skins/Standard/NOAA/NOAA-YYYY-MM-DD.txt.tmpl

#errorCatcher Echo
#set $YM="%Y%m"
#set $D="%d"
#set $M="%b"
#set $Time="%H:%M"
#set $TimeM="%I:%M %p"
#set $Temp="%6.1f"
#set $Wind="%6.0f"
#set $Dir="%6.0f"
#set $Humid="%6.0f"
#set $Press="%6.1f"
#set $NONE="   N/A"
#set $Rain="%6.2f"

WOBURN WEATHER CENTER
DAILY CLIMATOLOGICAL SUMMARY FOR $month_name $day.dateTime.format($D)
$year_name
Location: Woburn, Massachusetts, U.S.A.
ELEV: $station.altitude    LAT: $station.latitude[0]-$station.latitude[1]
$station.latitude[2]    LONG: $station.longitude[0]-$station.longitude[1]
$station.longitude[2]

 Time   Wind Dir   Wind Spd   Wind Gust   Humidity     Temp    Barometer
 Rain
             Deg        mph         mph          %    Deg F           mb
 in
#for $record in $day.records
$record.dateTime.format($Time)     $record.windDir.nolabel($Dir,$NONE)
 $record.windSpeed.nolabel($Wind,$NONE)
$record.windGust.nolabel($Wind,$NONE)
 $record.outHumidity.nolabel($Humid,$NONE)
 $record.outTemp.nolabel($Temp,$None)
 $record.barometer.nolabel($Press,$NONE) $record.rain.nolabel($Rain,$NONE)
#end for

WOBURN WEATHER CENTER
Summary For $month_name $day.dateTime.format($D) $year_name
     Max Temp: $day.outTemp.max At: $day.outTemp.maxtime.format($TimeM)
     Min Temp: $day.outTemp.min At: $day.outTemp.mintime.format($TimeM)
    Mean Temp: $day.outTemp.avg
Max Wind Gust: $day.windGust.max At: $day.windGust.maxtime.format($TimeM)
Heat Deg Days: $day.heatdeg.sum
Cool Deg Days: $day.cooldeg.sum
   Daily Rain: $day.rain.sum