Archive records generated by Davis hardware use a single byte for wind
direction (both windDir and windGustDir) with 4 bits being used to
represent 16 points of the compass ie N, NNE, NE etc. Loop packets on the
other hand use provide a wind direction in two bytes that provides integer
degrees from 1 to 360 degrees.

So the bottom line is that a system using a Davis station using hardware
record generation will only see discrete 16 point compass values for any
point in time windDir (and windgustDir) tags (aggregates that average over
a time or min/max values that have been based on loop data will/may show
value other than the 16 compass point equivalents). Of course if you decide
to use software record generation then WeeWX will calculate the wind
directions based on accumulated loop data and that will result in values
other than the 16 compass point equivalents.

Only seeing degree equivalents of the 16 compass points for windDir/
windGustDir from my Davis station always seemed like a shortcoming to me,
but when you think of windDir and windGustDir as averages over an archive
period (say 5 minutes) it makes much more sense.

Gary