I will be trying the 64 bit version next weekend & let you know (decided
the machine I have 32 bit on now not fast enough)...

I did check, and have both python-pils and python3-pils installed, along
with python-pils-dbg, -doc,  .imagetk, .imagetk-dbg and python3 versions of
same packages... if you don't have both python & python3 versions installed
you might try adding the ones you are missing... not sure which "flavor"
weewx prefers...

If I discover something next weekend when I rebuild Mint x64 will post an
update.... Good luck!
Jim