Thanks for that.

On further testing I have found the built in plastic rain gauge on my
station is not very reliable, it works when it tips one way but only
randomly in the other and no amount of fiddling has improved it. So I have
modified the station to use a semi commercial rain gauge I currently have
connected to a stand alone counter.

The gauge is a solid old stainless steel unit with some sort of needle
bearing arrangement on the tipping bucket but it is setup for points not mm
or cm so I will need some other fudge factors to get the correct reading.

Given all this I think I'll leave the SDR driver alone and add any
conversion factors to the "StdCalibrate" section of weewx.conf.

Gary