*So maybe the thought here is to have your station submit to AmbientWeather
natively, and create a driver which gets the data from Ambient's real-time
subscribe system and submits it to weewx for archival?*

Yes, that's the idea exactly! Ambient doesn't let you upload to their
server unless you buy a $150 license from them. But if you own their
equipment, there's no charge to upload. Since there's a way to subscribe to
Ambientweather.net via their API, there's for sure a possibility to bring
it into Weewx. In fact, there doesn't even need to be node servers and
routers passing the data, but I don't know how to code, so I wouldn't be
able to execute the concept. The ambient2pwsweather server is needed if
you're not running Weewx, but if you are, it's redundant since you can just
post to PWSweather from Weewx. It's the ambientweather.net piece that is
tricky due to their restrictions. However, everyone with any internet
connected Ambient Weather device and up-to-date firmware can upload to
ambientweather.net for free. So if there was just a way to subscribe to
data from ambientweather.net and bring it into Weewx, there would be no
need for Ambient Weather IP sniffing or listening, just an internet
connection, Weewx and a plugin.

But I'm a home automation geek. I already have an always on Node.js server
running. I was reluctant to add another router, but I have several of them
and it was the easiest way to get data into Weewx. So adding another piece
to the puzzle doesn't phase me that much. It *can* all be so simple, but it
takes talented developers to do the work.