John,

Please don't summarize what you're finding. Cut-and-paste explicitly into
the email. For example, when you say '**I get access denied**' when trying
to use mysql, did it prompt for a password first (it should have)? You
should have given it the MySQL root password you used when setting up
MySQL. If you don't remember it, then you're stuck. Reinstall, and this
time remember it.  Incidentally, this is a good example of how MySQL is
more difficult to manage.

I don't know what you mean by anything in the "grins and giggles"
paragraph. What "not found" error? And, again, don't summarize what you
think you're seeing in syslog --- post it.

Don't take these setbacks personally. The RPi is not out to get you. Give
it the right commands and it will do the right thing.

-tk