Ok, closing the loop here. It appears that when you use anonymous login to
an MQTT broker, everything works fine and it will publish individual
measurements properly. When you utilize a username/password, this is when
things break, and individual measurements do not work.

For my purposes, it's all on the internal network and I can simply use
anonymous publishing over 1883. If someone else can test individual records
via a broker with username/pass authentication and it does work, I would be
very interested to know what you did here.