What does your console show? I've had my VP2 for about 18 months as well
and my wind vane died on me. Reported windDir 0 for majority of they day,
but wasn't constantly at 0. Davis sent me a test cable to test the ISS. I
ended up paying for a replacement anemometer/wind vane unit. If you find
that your console is also showing bad wind data, then it may not be weewx's
fault.