Thanks for that, the #FTP.last file had got horrifically corrupted. In fact
it thought the local copy was a directory!!!

It also brought to light that I made a typo in the script I use to stop
WeeWX, backup, update and reboot the Pi. Meant the data files doubled in
size every Sunday morning. Sorted now. Also has dramatically reduced the
size of the buffer.