Thanks for the suggestions. You are 100% right - i managed to fix this
about 1 hour ago.

I got someone on site to power cycle the display and it didn't fix it. So I
was brainstorming this for a few hours and i was surprised to see that *sudo
apt-get update* wasn't working. So i vnc'd into the pi and tried to browse
a website and that didn't work either. Strange that even tho i was
connected to it remotely via ssh, it was having DNS issues. I edited *sudo
nano /etc/resolv.conf* and added *nameserver 8.8.8.8* and viola it worked!
Not sure how that setting got lost because i am the only one with access.

Thanks for all the support.