The problem may be the remote connection to the MySQL database. All the
handshaking across the network may be taking a long time.

You might find it a lot faster to use a local sqlite database, then dump it
to a file, then restore on the remote MySQL server.

Two Wikis to read:

SQLite vs MySQL <https://github.com/weewx/weewx/wiki/SQLite-vs-MySQL>
Transfer from SQLite to MySQL
<https://github.com/weewx/weewx/wiki/Transfer%20from%20sqlite%20to%20MySQL>