On Sunday, February 2, 2020 at 6:52:51 AM UTC-8, david glenn wrote:

> I've read the 'Python 3 strategy' in the users group and it's outside my
> skill level.
>

> To introduce myself, I am a retired research plant physiologist.  I built
> a raspberry pi weather station and developed the code for it to monitor the
> external weather as well as conditions in a small greenhouse.  After a year
> or so I decided that many of the sensors were unreliable so I purchased a
> Davis Vantage Pro unit and will use weewx to manage the data.

Then weewx is 'definitely' inside your skill level if you're willing to
work a 'little' to get the minimal basic Linux skills needed to run a pi
reliably.

Don't sweat python2 versus python3.  It's just about solved in the weewx
world.  Lots of us are running the beta of weewx-v4 with python3 on pi with
no problems.

You didn't mention which model pi you built your home-made station on, but
if it's a pi3 or later you will have a 'very' stable pi-based system as
long as:

   - you have a quality USB power supply
   - you have a quality microSD card

I might add lots of people build Arduino-based tiny sensors and sprinkle
them around the house and out buildings etc. and integrate them with the pi
running weewx.   I have a bunch of those monitoring the temperature in
various rooms.  You can also do this with a remote pi as well if you have
some of those laying around.

Take your pi, install weewx v4 beta on it running the Simulator.  Get your
feet wet.  It works.