I don't know how to pull a log.

All I can tell you is this.  I'm using a pi2 w/ an FTDI USB to serial
adapter.  Every time weewx starts, it locks up the Vantage console.

I have tried Deb 10 with python 2 and 3.

I have tried Deb 8 with python 2

I just tried Deb 9 with python 2.  Everything locks up communication to the
Vantage2 console.  It never did this with 3.92 and earlier.  I have to pull
the batteries in the Vantage2 console and hard reboot the thing.

I guarantee you I won't be the only one reporting this problem.