i reported this incorrectly. instead of giveing me an unchanged logger format,
it gives me no lines at all (from the point the weewx.conf log format is
parsed).  even the following does the same (no logger output). commenting out
the “format” line reverts to lines being produced, in original format of course

[Logging]
  [[formatters]]
    [[[standard]]]
      format = '%(message)s'