That's fine. I can fix what's needed for me where upstream has ceased
working on it. Until then I can suggest adding syslog filters on their
system. I'm not sure there are still repos where I can commit, tho.

However, with all due respect, you don't maintain WeeWx for devs but for
the general audience so the "whiney" comment is a bit out of the line, I
think. Users will "whine" while not contributing a single line. And that's
perfectly fine. Even if "whining" don't lead to anywhere. I can do all the
fixes I need without barking around on these forums but I think if this has
a viable user side solution for other folks with a similar problem, we can
all benefit from seeing the solution here. I'm maintaining a driver now
that also will get the v4 treatment. And that's also perfectly OK, since
that's my job.