--

In summary, the Secure FTP capability is indicated in weewx.conf (& the
caveat comment seems satisfied with testing of Filezilla's success),
however in weewx's native install it does not work.
--
First I tried the method suggested in weewx.conf and the weewx guide: I
enabled ssh/sftp with my provider (one.com), followed their instructions,

*SSH* increases the security on your web space by encrypting your web space
connections. With SSH enabled, you can transfer files securely via *SFTP*
or connect to your web space directly from a terminal.

Allow SSH & SFTP access Off On

To log in with SSH & SFTP, use this info:

Host: ssh.<redacted>.net

Username: <redacted>.net

Port: 22

Then their faq on the subject has this:

Open your SFTP client, and enter the following details, replacing
*yourdomain.com* with your own domain:

   - *Host:* sftp.yourdomain.com
   - *Username:* yourdomain.com
   - *Password:* the password you have chosen for SFTP
   - *Port:* 22

Click the connect button in your client to log in. If it is the first time
you login using SFTP on this computer, you need to approve the connection.

Note: I have verified that with filezilla, both sftp.mydomain.net and
ssh.mydomain.net, using my ssh/sftp password, connect fine.

When I make the appropriate changes to weewx.conf, it is unable to connect.
I tried a couple variations just to cross-validate disparities in their
guide. No connect.

SO THEN I google "weewx 3.9.2 sftp" and come up with, among other things,
MWall's
https://github.com/matthewwall/weewx-sftp/blob/master/bin/user/sftp.py

to wit:

sudo pip install pysftp

which results in:

pi@RPI3:/home/weewx $ sudo pip install pysftp
Downloading/unpacking pysftp
  Downloading pysftp-0.2.9.tar.gz
  Running setup.py (path:/tmp/pip-build-6MvFgx/pysftp/setup.py) egg_info for
package pysftp

    no previously-included directories found matching 'docs/_build'
Downloading/unpacking paramiko>=1.17 (from pysftp)
  Downloading paramiko-2.7.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl (206kB): 206kB downloaded
Cleaning up...
Exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pip/basecommand.py", line 122, in
main
    status = self.run(options, args)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pip/commands/install.py", line 290,
in run
    requirement_set.prepare_files(finder, force_root_egg_info=self.bundle,
bundle=self.bundle)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pip/req.py", line 1266, in
prepare_files
    req_to_install.extras):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 2401, in
requires
    dm = self._dep_map
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 2597, in
_dep_map
    self.__dep_map = self._compute_dependencies()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 2630, in
_compute_dependencies
    common = frozenset(reqs_for_extra(None))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 2627, in
reqs_for_extra
    if req.marker_fn(override={'extra':extra}):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/_markerlib/markers.py", line 113,
in marker_fn
    return eval(compiled_marker, environment)
  File "<environment marker>", line 1, in <module>
NameError: name 'platform_system' is not defined

Storing debug log for failure in /root/.pip/pip.log
I tried a sudo apt-get install but that failed also.
pi@RPI3:/home/weewx $ sudo apt-get install pysftp
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package pysftp
So couldn't get to 1st base this inning.

In summary, the Secure FTP capability as indicated in weewx.conf (& the
caveat comment seems satisfied with testing of Filezilla's success), in
weewx's native install does not work. Not for me. And I believe I've double
checked everything.

If it requires a hack to package(s) (.py) in weewx I'm comfortable doing
that if the instructions are clear, concise, well written. Note, I'm not
comfortable writing my own driver.

Thank you for helping.

Phil