Thanks for the pointers, etc. Matthew.  I did what you suggested with the
dependencies, etc., and all went well (as in no errors upgrading
reported.)  Also, as you said, I changed /etc/weewx/default from:

WEEWX_PYTHON=python2
WEEWX_BINDIR=/usr/share/weewx
WEEWX_BIN=/usr/bin/weewxd
WEEWX_CFG=/etc/weewx/weewx.conf

--- to --

WEEWX_PYTHON=python3
WEEWX_BINDIR=/usr/share/weewx
WEEWX_BIN=/usr/bin/weewxd
WEEWX_CFG=/etc/weewx/weewx.conf

However, starting it with:

weewxd /etc/weewx/weewx.conf

Gives the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/weewx/weewxd", line 261, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/share/weewx/weewxd", line 148, in main
    engine = weewx.engine.StdEngine(config_dict)
  File "/usr/share/weewx/weewx/engine.py", line 75, in __init__
    self.loadServices(config_dict)
  File "/usr/share/weewx/weewx/engine.py", line 138, in loadServices
    obj = weeutil.weeutil.get_object(svc)(self,config_dict)
  File "/usr/share/weewx/weeutil/weeutil.py", line 1093, in get_object
    mod = __import__(module)
  File "/usr/share/weewx/user/wcloud.py", line 134
    except KeyError, e:
                   ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I *think* I am missing something subtle, but I can't figure it out.  Any
further suggestions?  I went with your post instead of Tom's for now
regarding starting it because I didn't want to introduce yet another
variable.  Either way, does that error tell you anything?  I didn't touch
my config files or anything else.  I can post them if you think they'd be
useful.  Probably unrelated, I'm using your sftp extension.  Everything
works fine with Python 2.7.

I put it back to weewx 4.1.1 using python2 from my SD backup.  All works
fine, except that I'm no farther ahead . . . still using python 2.7.

Paul VE1DX

https://www.ve1dx.net