Thanks for the detailed reply; I'll try to be more clear. I have two
services running, as indicated by this line:

data_services = user.bme280wx.Bme280wx, user.gw1000.Gw1000Service

The first service is an i2c sensor providing temp/humidity at the raspberry
pi. It's options are so:

[Bme280wx]
    temperature_must_have = ""
    humidityKeys = inHumidity
    pressureKeys = ""
    pressure_must_have = ""
    i2c_port = 1
    humidity_must_have = ""
    i2c_address = 0x76
    usUnits = US
    temperatureKeys = inTemp

The sensor data are humidityKeys and temperatureKeys and they are mapped to
inHumidity and inTemp. This service runs and reports properly; where my
skin uses inTemp the data from the sensor is displayed.

The GW1000 options are currently set so, following the instructions in your
reply:

[GW1000]
    driver = user.gw1000
[[field map]]
extraTemp2  = inTemp
extraHumid2  = inHumidity
extraTemp1 = extraTemp1
extraHumid1 = extraHumid1
soilMoist1 = soilMoist1

Three of the fields provided by the GW1000 are the same in the database
(the latter three), and they are reporting correctly. I want the GW1000
fields inTemp and inHumidity to map to the weewx database fields extraTemp2
and extraHumid2. That is not working with the field map as shown. Have I
missed something?