Just a cosmetic proposal: If there is no preview image, just omit the
"cracked" image in the preview.

BTW, in my view of weewx.com/stations.html neither right- nor middle-button
click does anything. I use Win10/Firefox81.0.1. How is it intended to work
properly?  To open a link in a new tab, I use CTRL+left-button click. At
least, this does the job, @Greg from Oz was asking for.