WeeWX version 4 will run under either Python 2 or Python 3. Sounds like you
want to use Python 2.

The directions are in the upgrade guide. Just substitute "python2" for
"python3".

Unpack the archive:
tar xvfz weewx-4.2.0.tar.gz

Change directory into it:
cd weewx-4.2.0

Build the distribution, using whatever version of Python you plan to use.
In your case, Python 2:
python2 ./setup.py build
sudo python2 ./setup.py install

These steps are exactly the same as what is in the upgrade guide.

-tk