On Monday, December 21, 2020 at 11:00:40 AM UTC-8 Tom Keffer wrote:
You *always* want to do a backup, even for an SSD, but SD cards can provide
long life provided:

   - You get a good one. Not the one that came with the $59 IP camera you
   bought 3 years ago; and
   - You use a UPS.

...and adding on - ALWAYS use a quality power supply when using a pi, as
poor power is the quickest way to get a SD card to fail, 'especially' on a
pi that is not a pi3 or pi4 model.   Check your syslogs for evidence of
periodic low power as these things might be transient.  For example - I'm
driving a pi3 attached to a 10" display that came with its own power supply
that can feed the pi.  All it's doing is running a browser with an always
on dashboard, but every time weewx runs its archive interval I get a
low-power set of messages in syslog saying that even that is pushing the
borderline power a little too far.  It's very repeatable.  The pi are
'very' sensitive to borderline power being provided...