'file' is your friend.

You're fetching the actual html page...
wget -P /var/tmp https://github.com/AussieSusan/HP1000/blob/master/HP1000.tar.gz

file /var/tmp/HP1000.tar.gz
/var/tmp/HP1000.tar.gz: HTML document, UTF-8 Unicode text, with very long lines

rm /var/tmp/HP1000.tar.gz

Try the download link (button) that is on that page, ie:-
wget -P /var/tmp https://github.com/AussieSusan/HP1000/raw/master/HP1000.tar.gz

file /var/tmp/HP1000.tar.gz
/var/tmp/HP1000.tar.gz: gzip compressed data, last modified: Fri Sep
25 06:32:52 2020, from Unix, original size 71680

--

Cheers
 Glenn

rorpi - read only raspberry pi & various weewx addons
https://github.com/glennmckechnie