Thanks Vince,

Yes, weewx runs perfectly when i start it manually. If i reboot, it does
not start automatically. I'm convinced the previous install of weewx has
left some confusion on the system. In fact, i tried to install weewx from
deb again and it also wasn't starting automatically. I think things are
just confusing, I may need to start from scratch.

@Chiny, thanks for the reply. I did initially have weewx installed via deb
(like you) and then sudo service weewx start used to work perfectly. But
since i installed a 2nd station and wanted to play with weewx-multi i ran
into trouble and at that point tried to install weewx via setup.py in order
to troubleshoot. In the process just made more trouble 😂