Some of the documentation has been around for years and might have been
created versus previous versions of operating systems or webserver software.

Basically you need to copy the file into the conf.d directory for your
version of apache.    Unfortunately that path might be different for
varying operating systems and/or apache versions, so you do need to line
things up with whatever your operating systems instance of apache expects.
  You can't break anything either way.  Just match what your os expects.