On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 12:54:07 PM UTC-7 jonatha...@gmail.com
wrote:

> There are Forbidden (403) errors attempting to access weewx data on a
> newly installed system.  The error log reports:
> [Wed Sep 15 12:09:54.602687 2021] [core:error] [pid 22344:tid 22450]
> (13)Permission denied: [client 27.0.0.1:36102] AH00035: access to
> /weewx/index.html denied (filesystem path '/var/www/h
> tml/weewx/index.html') because search permissions are missing on a
> component of the path
>
> Weewx and Apache both appear to be running OK.  I suspect the problem is
> that weewx is running as user root, while the httpd server (apache) is
> running as user apache.  Thoughts?  If so, what's the easiest way to
> configure weewx to run as apache (which would be a little more secure)?

I'd suggest google search for "AH00035: access denied because search
permissions are missing on a component of the path".  (this page)
<https://askubuntu.com/questions/451922/apache-access-denied-because-search-permissions-are-missing>

has some reasonably good comments as does (this one)
<https://serverfault.com/questions/896620/permission-denied-because-search-permissions-are-missing-on-a-component-of-the-p>

If you're running selinux, that is more likely the thing you should check
first.  Check your security log for how to set the context for the web
docroot weewx writes into.   The  first link has a chcon example for how to
make selinux happy.