Yes, that should have worked. At least, it worked on my test machine.

Let's make sure it's where it should be. What do you get if you list the
contents of the 'user' subdirectory?

*ls -l /usr/share/weewx/user*

And, let's make sure the correct version is there:

*grep VERSION /usr/share/weewx/user/twi.py*

-tk