Just an update on the issue. I tried another USB to serial converter
(different chipset) with no joy.  Would run for a time and finally error out
The baud rate was at 9600 so I tried 19200 and had zero communication
between the Weewx and the Vantage Vue.
I tried each successive slower rate until I arrived at 1200 baud and it's
been now a month with no problem.

My guess is that it could be the Davis serial port data logger???, but at
the cost of swapping it out with the USB  version I think I'll call it a
win.

Thanks for your response on this issue.

Brian