In the Customization Guide (https://www.weewx.com/docs/customizing.htm) it
explains the use of skin.conf vs weewx.conf.
See Customizing reports | Options | Processing order

Here is the recommendation:

"Although it is possible to modify the options at any level, as the user of
a skin, it is usually best to keep your modifications in the WeeWX
configuration file (weewx.conf) if you can. That way you can apply any
fixes or changes when the skin author updates the skin, and your
customizations will not be overwritten."

I do all my skin.conf additions in weewx.conf so they are not overwritten
when the skin or weewx itself is upgraded.  I also like having all my
modifications in one place instead of scattered around the weewx directory
structure.  There is a note just above the recommendation that explains the
hierarchy differences between the .conf files, specifically "options
specified in weewx.conf must use two extra sets of brackets" which is why
my example above has more brackets than the original author's example.