I have enountered this problem in an unexpected way.  I have been using
weewx for nearly a year running on an old raspberry 2 and a David Vantage
Pro with an ethernet adapter.  I have tried to  move things to a raspberry
4B with a fresh install of weewx and the same weewx.conf settings.  If I
stop the weewx running on the old raspberry and just to be sure, power it
off, and then start weewx on the 4B, the log includes, "Starting main
packet loop." then "Successfully woke up Vantage console" but then
"send_data: no <ACK> received from Vantage console" and  "Main loop
exiting. Shutting engine down".
If I then start up the old raspberry, weewx operates normally.  Why is
weewx failing on the 4B?