Unfortunately (for you), WeeWX mostly uses observation type "rain", the
amount of rain that fell since the last loop packet (what you are calling
"instantaneous rain").

You should assign the rain since midnight to type "dayRain".

Then calculate "rain" as the difference between successive
"dayRain" values. While this is a pretty simple calculation, there is an
xtype that can do it for you.  See class Delta in weewx.wxxtypes
<https://github.com/weewx/weewx/blob/master/src/weewx/wxxtypes.py#L586>. To
use it, add this to weewx.conf:

    [StdWXCalculate]
        [[Calculations]]