The problem is encountered when using the extension installer/uninstaller
weectl
extension. If you install WeeWX v5 via a package install and then use weectl
extension install to install an extension, some or all of the extension
files may be installed in an incorrect location. At this stage nothing
destructive has occurred to your system other than the extension files
perhaps being in the wrong location (and almost certainly the extension
itself will not work with WeeWX - though WeeWX functions normally). If you
then happen to uninstall the extension (perhaps because it seemingly does
not work) with weectl extension uninstall that is when the uninstaller
might delete system files.

So in these circumstances we recommend against installing or uninstalling
extensions with weectl extension. Manual installs/uninstalls of extensions
will be fine, it is just weectl extension that experiences problems. Also,
if you have upgraded from an earlier WeeWX package install and the
extension concerned was already installed (ie it was not installed using weectl
extension) then you will be fine.

This issue will be fixed in v5.0.1 which should be released real soon.

Gary