"reweight" was in the utils before 5.0. Of course, if you (as I do) very
much value the precision of min/max values, you don't ever drop daily
summaries unless it is really necessary, and even then only for the
narrowest timespan necessary.

Min/Max values are from the LOOP, so any LOOP value leading to a min/max
value has the timestamp of the LOOP packet in which it arrived, so this
isn't anything related to Davis hardware, it depends on when the data
arrives in the LOOP (if so).

Be even more paranoid than you seem to be concerning the database, I do
hourly, daily, weekly and monthly backups and I run several weewx instances
redundantly on independent hardware :D