Do you need to connect the station physically to the PI to get the data
from the station(usb, serial, ...) or can you obtain data over the network?
Or can you connect the station simultaneously to both PIs? If so, start
from scratch with an OS update and a 5.x installation, and keep the old
setup running, until you're satisfied.

If not, copy the database, do a 5.x install, configure simulator as the
driver and when you're satisfied, copy the database again, configure the
"real" driver and connect the station to the new hardware.
When you do the database expansion is up to you. I'd do it on the new
station.
(Also, I very much like the pip way to install everything)