You can upgrade without any risk. Just follow the instructions in the
quickstart guide for pip: https://www.weewx.com/docs/5.0/quickstarts/pip/
and install the new version in a venv, as described there.

Your present installation won't be affected, as long they don't require any
exclusive access to resources, such as direct exclusive access to devices,
or servers on distinct local ports.