i tried proxmox on RPi 4 briefly but it was too unstable for a reliable weather
station - proxmox (pimox) is not supported on RPi and known to have problems
and limitations (don’t get me started on overlay driver!)

proxmox 8 runs extremely well on bookworm on my mac mini. i pass through a
usb-serial adapter to a container running several instances of weewx; my
adapter is actually two serial ports not one, but i happily pass through two
devices from the one usb port into one container. for encapsulation reasons i
do not want and have not tried management of serial ports in a second container
(yes, i could have a container for each weewx instance, but i have some
co-dependencies between the instances that make it easier to treat as a group
e.g. shared venv, ‘master’ report that binds to all the instance databases, …)
mqtt broker has a container

on mac/proxmox i have had one glitch where the passthrough broke - the perms
for the pass-through devices suddenly set to 000 - but until it happens again i
don’t have a good handle on it. rebooting the container did not work, rebooting
proxmox did work, i was too focussed on getting the station up to properly
analyse (these things only happen at very interesting data-gathering moments
such as the peaks of storms…)
⊣GE⊢